The Great Exaggerator

 It’s been a year now. It’s been the longest, fastest year of our lives (I can speak collectively here). Some nights felt like they’d never end and other days I look at pictures of her in disbelief that she was ever tiny. I love her and all that she has exaggerated in our lives. That is what she is, an exaggerater. Spell check says that is not a real word but that is what I mean. She exaggerates everything in our lives, or maybe augments is a better word?

We love more, we laugh so much more (with her and mostly at her), I cry more.

 

Everything is just more heightened. With that has come some pretty great things and some increased challenges.

 

I think if something was good before Blair, it got better. Our marriage for example. It was great, we had a lot of fun and we enjoyed each other’s company. But NOW we have this really interesting living thing that we are constantly taking care of and it is the most fun thing we have ever done. I love coming home from work and getting to hear about all the new things she can do. I love to FaceTime Josh while he’s at the station to show him her latest trick. Last week she learned how to spin and we were all laughing so hard through her giggles as she would spin, spin, spin and then fall down. So simple, but so fun. Our nightly evening walks are the best time of the day, Blair giggles as Glenn chases his ball and we run on the grass. We get to share those things together every day. Having something you both love profoundly has been the best group project we have ever worked on.



 

 

On the other hand, hard things become harder. Running, while I love it and live for all that it brings, is really draining. Baby or not, at high mileage I was always cranky. Now at low to medium mileage I find my temper is just as short. I now have a babysitter that comes and watches Blair on critical team workout mornings but the emotional burden of always having to find a place for Blair while Josh is gone is so exhausting. Work has become longer too. My days, while busy, feel never-ending until I can get home to be with her and Josh. Travel sucks so hard. Long plane rides suck as an adult; add a baby and I feel like a prisoner. Now that she can walk, that is all she wants to do. Spinning now too, she loves to spin. I think spinning on a plane would be an extra challenge though. Friend time has decreased too, and since starting my new job and Josh beginning new department training on his days off, I feel like I have no time for things outside of the people I need most. Or in other words, there is no balance in my life at all.

 



 

Now, I don’t know that this is supposed to sway anyone for or against kids, rather just paint a picture of what my exaggerated life looks like now. It is so much harder in so many ways. And maybe I have set myself for this, choosing to be a full time working mom, training for a marathon, participating heavily in my church community, but I can honestly say I have never been happier in my marriage or with my small little family. I cry most days out of pure exhaustion but then cry as I put Blair to sleep because I love her so much.

 

Anyway, I’d love to know how kids have exaggerated your life, for the good and bad. Idk how bloggers normally do that (leave a comment??) but you can always just text me haha.

Comments

Popular Posts