Petechiae and Other Illnesses

Since telling people I'm pregnant, I've answered a lot of questions about my physical health and I've told almost everyone that I wouldn't wish the woes of pregnancy on anyone. Even my worst offenders. 

Well this last week was going great. I got to go home, see family and just relax. On Thanksgiving, Paige and I ran 10 miles. We made a killer charcuterie board while my mom made yummy yummy food for a nice thanksgiving meal. 

Saturday rolled around though and I was not feeling well. We planned on doing our Christmas tradition of PF Changs for lunch but decided that we all felt a little too stuffed from Thanksgiving to eat another big meal. So we opted for Chilli's instead. Also a dumb idea. I was feeling fine from lunch and was hungry again around 7:30 so Paige and I drove to Wawa so I could grab a sandwich. 

On the way home I started feeling really nauseous and by the time we were in our drive way I got out of the car and just starting violently vomiting on our grass. I have never vomited that hard in my life. I guess I did pop a blood vessel in my eye just months ago but that was from repeated offenses, not from one instance. I could barley open my eyes by the time I gasped in enough air to stand up and lean against the trashcan... After 5 min or so of vomiting, I ran inside so I didn't have to disturb the whole neighborhood with my obnoxious hurls. I used my sweatshirt to cover my face and ran to the toilet. I didn't look at myself in my mirror because my eyes hurt too much to open so I finished my bent over business at the toilet and stood up to look in the mirror at a completely different person. I looked like I had just been stung in the face by 50 bees. Or punched by Conor McGregor 3 or 4 times. 

I fell asleep around 9pm that night and woke up to find my face still pretty swollen and red. 


Before makeup.



After applying more makeup than I did on my wedding day.


I had thrown up so hard that I popped the blood vessels in my face. It's called Petechiae (pa-teek-ee-a) and makes you look awfully vampire-like. The reminder wasn't great after Josh and Paige forced me to watch the entire Twilight series this last week. 

Anyway, I'd like to reiterate how physically difficult this has been. My immune system as a whole is just crap. I've gotten a cold and the flu now, both prompting COVID tests (which also make everything hurt more, I hate them so much) and I just feel so vulnerable to getting sick all the time. And while I don't feel nauseated 24/7 anymore, somedays it takes me 30 minutes to finish a sandwich just because eating is such a chore. My running friend just had a kid and continues to post about how good food taste again, I can't wait to enjoy eating again. I'd run 50 more marathons before accepting the pain that comes from being so physically ill. It's just simply inconvenient and uncomfortable. 

Today I surprisingly feel great. I woke up, went for a 4 mile run at 8:32/mile pace and I've been able to eat normal food all day too. I guess I should just be grateful I feel good today. 

Comments

Popular Posts